Toddler Meal Ideas and Kids School Lunch Ideas – Mac And Cheese
Soemtimes it’s hard to think of great lunch ideas for toddlers. A big favorite for many kids is Mac and Cheese. This healthier version will still keep a smile on your child’s face while also keeping your mind at ease. It is devoid of the undesirable ingredients found in most of the popular store brands. Some of the ingredients that you want to avoid include:
Artificial colours like tartrazine
Tartrazine has been proven to cause hyperactivity in kids.
Modified milk ingredients
These are chemically tampered-with components of milk that have been taken out of their natural matrix (check your cheese, organic is best).
MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)
A common flavor enhancer added to many processed/packaged foods. It causes an array of well-documented negative health symptoms.
This Mac & Cheese is quick and easy and contains better grains with less or no gluten depending on which pasta you choose, hemp seeds and healthy beans for protein and fiber.
Toddler Meal Ideas – Healthier Mac and Cheese
3 variations: Cheesy Cheddar, Tomato or Rose
I use brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta, which is gluten free. You can also use kamut pasta that contains less gluten than traditional wheat pasta. All have passed the kid taste test and once the sauce is added your kids won’t know the difference.
2 cups Brown rice, quinoa or kamut pasta cooked
Strain and add to pot:
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ can white navy beans (mashed or blended smooth)
- 1 tbsp. hemp seeds (if you want you can ground these in the blender and they look like parmesan cheese)
- Salt to taste
- Cheesy Cheddar: add cheddar cheese and/or parmesan cheese to taste
- Tomato: add tomato sauce (purchase from glass jars to avoid BPA in cans)
- Rose: add tomato sauce and ½ cup of 3.25% milk
Of course you can also add cheese to variation 2 & 3.
Heat for a few minutes until cheese melts and milk thickens.
- How Sugar Affects Children’s Brains - October 8, 2017
- How To Improve Immune System Functioning In Your Kids To Prevent Infection - July 5, 2017
- Easy Dessert Recipes For Kids and Lunch Ideas for Toddlers – Delicious Gluten Free Homemade Holiday Treats - December 10, 2016
- Toddler Meal Ideas and Kids School Lunch Ideas – Mac And Cheese - September 4, 2016
- 5 Super Foods for Toddlers - April 27, 2016
- Healthy Fats for your Child’s Mind and Body - April 7, 2016
- Healthy Foods for Hockey Season – Aim for a Nutritional “Goal!” - October 6, 2015
- Backed Up? What Helps Constipation? - May 13, 2015
- Healthy Kid Friendly Recipes #2 – Hamburgers - October 26, 2014
- Homemade Healthy Electrolyte Drinks – Rehydrate Naturally - October 20, 2014