Sweet Potato & Spice Muffins
Sweet Potatoes are so good for you – filled with beta-carotene, manganese and vitamin C. So when I came across a sweet potato muffin recipe in Gwyneth Paltrow’s book “It’s All Good” I had to give it a try. They are super easy to make, delicious and now a staple in my house!
They make the perfect snack any time of the day. These will be great to have on hand as the holidays approach and we are all eating too many sweets! Have one as a snack with some almond butter or some sliced apple and you will be good to go!
- 1 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup good-quality maple syrup or xylitol
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free ?our (if the ?our doesn’t include xanthan gum, add 1 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese ?ve-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
-Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potato a few times. Bake until soft – about 1 hour. Set the sweet potato aside until it’s completely cool. Peel it, discard the skin, and mash the ?esh in a mixing bowl with a fork.
-Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup or xylitol, and vanilla into the sweet potato.
-In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ?ve-spice powder.
-Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
– Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the batter among them.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
-Double the batch and freeze some so you can grab and go
-Use leftover mashed sweet potatoes from dinner the recipe works out just as well!
-The Chinese 5 spice may not be a hit will all kids (it includes star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper, and fennel seeds) but it can easily be swapped for pumpkin pie spice or even some cinnamon
-The recipe calls for GF flour, but you can use any variety you choose.
- What To Make For Breakfast? Plan In Advance! - February 8, 2018
- Easy Meals for Toddlers - December 27, 2017
- Sweet Potato and Spice Muffins - December 12, 2017
- How to Be Friendly to Food Allergies on Halloween - October 17, 2017
- Back to school – Getting Everyone Ready! - September 4, 2017
- 10 Best Sources of Non-Dairy Calcium - May 19, 2017
- Struggling With What To Make For Breakfast? Healthy Breakfast For Kids - March 19, 2017
- Blueberry Chia Seed Muffins - February 6, 2017
- How To Get The Kids Moving - July 21, 2016
- Healthy Protein Snacks – PB, Banana and Oat Squares - June 3, 2016