Plan What To Cook For Dinner In Advance, and 4 Other Tips For Grocery Shopping Success
Many parents find it challenging to juggle being a working mom or dad, taking care of the kids AND putting healthy meals on the table, night after night. Planning what to cook for dinner after work is such a stress and not time-efficient. Shopping efficiently not only has a financial impact on your family but it will also determine your ability to put nutritious meals on the table.
Here are 5 tips for grocery shopping success:
Have a list
Shopping without a list often fills your cart with foods you did not need and you will likely end up forgetting some of the items you came in for. Planning your weekly menu in advance is a great way to ensure success in getting family meals on the table. Build your shopping list out of that weekly meal plan and you will have all of the essential ingredients on hand when it comes time to prepare meals.
Don’t stick only to your list
Shopping lists can be a useful tool but look up from that list every once in a while. If you see something on special, something in season or something new, try it! It is important to introduce variety to prevent getting into a food rut with your family meals.
Shop the perimeter?
It used to be the case that all of the staples such as fresh produce, dairy, eggs and bread would be found around the perimeter of the store. Not the case for all supermarkets anymore. My local supermarket, for example, has all of its fresh produce in the centre of the store. The point, however, is to focus on filling your cart with fresh ingredients and whole foods vs. packaged/processed/shelf-stable foods.
Buy in bulk
Buying foods such as whole grains, flour, nuts and seeds, dried fruit or dried beans and lentils in bulk, will save you money, time (since you will not need to buy them as often) and also limit packaging waste.
Fresh produce delivery services
Take advantage of this convenient service and ensure an endless supply of fresh fruits and vegetables in your fridge.
Plan meals ahead of time
Try new ingredients
Pick fresh foods more often
Plan some healthy dinner meals this week
Need some kids school lunch ideas?
Check out some easy dessert recipes for kids.
- Packing School Lunches Your Child Will Actually Eat - September 1, 2017
- Plan What To Cook For Dinner In Advance, and 4 Other Tips For Grocery Shopping Success - July 8, 2017
- How To Prevent Picky Eating - December 16, 2016
- What Do Probiotics Do? - April 26, 2016
- What To Make For Breakfast Tomorrow? Maple-Nut Granola - March 3, 2016
- How Much Salt Per Day Can My Baby Have? - May 12, 2015
- How Much Should My Child Eat? - April 24, 2015
- Already Know What To Cook For Dinner? How Your Kids Can Help - January 16, 2015
- Dealing With Picky Eaters - November 17, 2014
- Healthy Treats for Kids – Chocolate Zucchini Muffins - November 7, 2014