Do I Need Glasses For The Sun? Wearing Sunglasses Is Not Just A Fashion Statement!
Summer is just around the corner and hopefully the sunshine is here to stay. As we look forward to the warm summer days, we need to reevaluate how we are going to protect our kids and family from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. Kids are done school, it’s the start of summer camps, family vacations and cottage getaways, more time will be spent doing activities outdoors. Do I need glasses for the sun? Do my kids really need sunglasses? Yes, of course!
As we look forward to the warm summer days, we need to reevaluate how we are going to protect our kids and family from ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
The more you have exposure to these harmful rays in your lifetime, the risk in developing sight-threatening conditions such as cataracts and macular degeneration becomes higher. As kids spend much more time outdoors than most adults, they receive approximately 3X more harmful UV. Kids also have clearer lens, which means more of these harmful rays can penetrate the eye and cause more damage to the retina. For all these reasons, kids including infants should be wearing UV-blocking lenses whenever outdoors.
As kids spend much more time outdoors than most adults, they receive approximately 3X more harmful UV.
What should you look for in a good pair of sunglasses?
- Lenses with 100% UVA and UVB blocking ability.
- Impact resistant lens material which is safer for unexpected injury during sports and play.
- Large snug fitting frames to provide the most protection around the eye and skin area
- Soft plastic frame material to avoid breakage leading to potential eye injury
Did you know UV rays can penetrate through clouds? So it is just as important to wear UV protection on overcast days.
Depending on UV index for the day, wearing a wide brimmed hat, quality sunglasses, sunscreen and avoiding direct sun exposure is imperative to avoid unwanted UV damage and a lifetime of healthy skin and vision.
Encourage sunglass wear at an early age and be consistent and persistent.
Let them pick out their favorites
Model good sun safety for your kids
How can you tell if your child needs glasses for vision problems?
- Do I Need Glasses For The Sun? Wearing Sunglasses Is Not Just A Fashion Statement! - June 2, 2016
- What is Amblyopia? – Lazy Eye, and What You Can Do About It - October 23, 2015
- When Should Children See The Pediatric Eye Doctor For The First Time? - July 30, 2015
- Do I Need Glasses? Do My Kids? How Can I Tell If My Baby Sees Well? - May 8, 2015