Window Film to Improve Sleep Time
Oh, how I love this stuff!
I am a big fan of keeping bedrooms pitch black to improve kids’ sleep. When it comes to sleep time, the darker, the better. Any amount of light creeping in the room can lead to early wakeups, and we love sleeping in! There is much research to support a more sound sleep when the room is dark. If your child can’t sleep, make the room darker.
Like many parents, I have tried garbage bags and Bristol board and commercial products to keep the windows dark, and they are always ugly and fall repeatedly and drive me crazy! These have been a game-changer. I measure, stick them up, and forget it. They never fall. I take them on vacation with us and have consistently had great sleeping kids since!
These frosted films have NO GLUE; they block UV and are heat controlled. They cling to the window and block out the light. Magic. They also provide great privacy from neighbors. The UV blocking filters sunlight while blocking 99% UVA rays and 99% UVB rays. It protects your skin from harmful sun exposure and reduces the fading and aging of furniture.
When I used garbage bags and Bristol board in the past, I was taping and gluing to the window. Messy and sticky! This stuff works great on flat and clean glass surfaces and leaves no residue after removal. It is super easy to apply. It takes minutes and is very inexpensive.
How to apply:
Applying the product is quick and straightforward.
- Clean the glass before applying the cling to ensure there is no dust trapped underneath.
- A good tip is to tape the roll down with painters’ tape while doing your measurements to ensure it doesn’t roll back up.
- Lay the film over the area and use a ball-point pen to draw out the shape; the more patient you are, the more likely you will get a good fit to avoid having to repeat.
- After cutting, fit the piece to the glass to ensure it is the right size before removing the backing.
- Very generously wet the entire window with water (I use a spray bottle) before applying. The wetter, the better. The product should cling to the window and easily be moved around until you get it into the right spot.
- Smooth it out with a squeegee or credit card and squeeze out the air and water bubbles with the squeegee or card as well.
- Wait for it to dry, and then it’ll be perfect.
The cling is totally reusable.
The removable glass ticker leaves no residue on your window. You can remove and re-position whenever you want. It is a fantastic eco-friendly choice.
They really block out the light, and it gives an elegant matte finish that is far nicer looking than garbage bags!
What does blackout cling do?
It fits onto the pane of glass to block out light.
How does this compare to other commercial products?
Blackout cling is reusable, inexpensive, and doesn’t leave any residue or mess behind.
How can I ensure the best fit?
- Ensure the window surface, edges, and corners are clean without dust
- Measure your window and cut the cling to the exact size of the pane of glass.
- Peel off the transparent backing film
- Spray water on the window surface and film during installation to allow the ‘cling’ to work best.
- Apply the cling to the pane of glass
- You can take a credit card to push out any air bubbles stuck underneath.