Great Things To Do When It Is Yucky Outside
I was hopeful that the winter was over, especially when it was so gorgeous outside yesterday. But of course, winter reared its ugly head today and we are stuck inside again. Made me think of fun things to do that will keep your kids stimulated and active, even in the rain or snow. Here are some great places for kids to play:
- GO OUTSIDE – why are we so scared of inclement weather? On rainy days we go outside in our boots and jackets and slush pants and jump in puddles, or build snow angles or snowmen when it is snowy. My kids can’t get enough of ‘yucky weather’.
- Make a fort – do you remember how fun this was when we were kids? We would take all the pillows in the house – from bedrooms, the couch and the cupboard, add some sheets and blankets and go crazy. Best part – telling scary stories in there when you’re done.
- Arts and crafts – all you need is some paper, crayons, and maybe some glue and sparkles, pom poms or other crafts, and you’ve got a few hours of fun.
- READ – my house favorite. My kids can read for hours, but then they need to run around. Great combo – run around then read when they are exhausted.
- Go to a children’s museum – this is our favorite thing to do when we travel to see friends or family and the weather isn’t great. If you haven’t checked out the top museums in the various cities you travel to, you and your kids are missing out. My favorite – science museums (was their any doubt?)
- Treasure hunt – this can take minutes or hours to set up, up to you. Kids REALLY like looking for hidden things.
- Put on a show – many kids like to perform. They can make a dance routine (my kids love this), or a play, or puppet show. This will keep them creative and entertained
- Swim – there are many indoor pools around, and this is a great way to keep your kids active if you can’t do it outside.
- Skipping party – remember Jump Rope for Heart when we were kids? When the whole school would go to the gym and jump rope for hours to raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation? That was one of my favorite days at school. Now you can do the same ‘contest’ if you have space in your basement.
- Indoor play spaces – there are many around. Indoor gyms or climbing structures are great when it is yucky outside. If you can stomach chasing your kids around many other kids, it might be a great option
- Skating – just like swimming above, there are many indoor skating rinks around, and you are supposed to be cold there!
- Put on a concert – my kids think they are musicians. The sound of them playing guitar together, well, let me tell you… If you can tolerate this idea, more power to you.
- Obstacle course – this is my all time favorite. Set up some things to run around, to run through and to jump over and the kids will love to race and beat their previous ‘time’.
Once the weather turns, check out these Park Packing Essentials.
Dina is a wife, mother of 4, and adrenaline junky. She loves to share children’s health information from her professional and personal experience. More About Dr Dina.