Hospital Versus Home Birth
My first son, Dylan, was born precipitously, meaning fast. From the time my water broke until he was out was about two hours. No epidural. No doctor in the room. My husband caught him with one hand while filming the brief delivery using his other hand. It was intense and unexpected, to say the least.
From the time my water broke until he was out was about two hours. No epidural. No doctor in the room. My husband caught him with one hand while filming the brief delivery using his other hand
With this experience under my belt, I thought, “I can totally deliver at home if I need to. We’re experts.” I always loved the idea of delivering at home. Personal, comfortable, and intravenous-free. My husband thought otherwise. He thought I was crazy to put myself in a situation where there wasn’t a doc available if I needed one. That is my pragmatic husband.
Much to my chagrin, he was admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, hooked up to IVs and aCPAP machine, helping him breath.
So on round two, I delivered Ryan in hospital. This time my obstetrician was present, broke my water, and I delivered pretty uneventfully two hours later. But there was a problem—Ryan was stunned from coming out so fast and wasn’t breathing properly. Much to my chagrin, he was admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, hooked up to IVs and aCPAP machine, helping him breath. This was not my plan. I take care of kids in the NICU in my professional life, my child wasn’t supposed to be there. Luckily, Ryan did just perfectly and I got to take him home on day 3.
Read the conclusion to this Article in my YummyMymmy post here.
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - November 11, 2017
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - November 8, 2017
- Child and Infant Ear Infections - November 7, 2017
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - November 4, 2017
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - November 2, 2017
- Febrile Seizures in Children – Not As Scary As You Think - November 1, 2017
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 22, 2017
- ‘13’ Halloween Safety Tips – The Quick and Dirty - October 15, 2017
- How to Teach Compassion to Your Kids - October 10, 2017
- 6 Ways To Get Your Kids Excited for Back To School - September 3, 2017