Keep the Whole Family Active this Winter
It’s important to keep the family active even when the temperatures are cold outside. Here’s some ideas to keep you moving!
The time of year when we all tend to hibernate and stay indoors is almost upon us. Motivation for leaving the house tends to decrease– you leave for work and it’s dark, get home from work and it’s dark. And if you are anything like me jogging in temperatures below zero just isn’t happening! Here are some ideas on how to keep the whole family active this winter.
For the adults:
- Consider the activities you enjoy doing and figure out how to bring them indoors.
- Do more classes at local gyms – mix up the classes you do to keep it interesting.
- If you are a cyclist buy an indoor trainer – my husband got one so now he can bike all winter at home.
- Find a great DVD or online workout.
For the kids:
- Make a hopscotch on the floor I did this last March break when it was cold and we needed something to do – so simple and my daughter has asked for it numerous times since!
- Make an obstacle course around the house.
- Do a little 7-minute workout video you can find on YouTube. When I am crushed for time I do them and my daughter will do them along with me.
- Older kids could do a whole little workout with you or many video games have the active workout components now as well.
- If you are going to get out of the house check out an indoor gym, trampoline, ball and rock climbing facilities.
Get the whole family active outside:
I am a huge lover of the outdoors, and actually really enjoy winter, so I suggest finding something the whole family enjoys and make it a weekly event. In our family we ski so every Saturday we are out on the slopes. We look forward to it all week and miss it when it is over. Not skiers – there is skating, tobogganing, snowshoeing or even just a nice winter walk. It doesn’t matter what you do – just get moving!
I strongly encourage getting outside – it is energizing and makes you enjoy the winter rather than wishing it away. It gets cold, so embrace it rather than counting down until its end. You will be better for it!
- Find exercise you love to stay motivated
- Get the kids active everyday inside or out
- Pick up a winter activity that the whole family can enjoy together
Need some babyproofing tips for the winter? Check out How to Encourage Exploratory Play… Without the Destruction.
Want to exercise their brains too? Read more on this at How To Foster Your Child’s Talents And Creative Thoughts
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- How To Get The Kids Moving - July 8, 2018
- What To Make For Breakfast – Good Smoothie Recipes - March 14, 2018
- Struggling With What To Make For Breakfast? Healthy Breakfast For Kids - March 12, 2018
- What To Make For Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner For Even The Pickiest Kid - February 4, 2018
- Sweet Potato and Spice Muffins - February 3, 2018
- How to Be Friendly to Food Allergies on Halloween - October 17, 2017
- Back to school – Getting Everyone Ready! - September 4, 2017
- 10 Best Sources of Non-Dairy Calcium - May 19, 2017
- Blueberry Chia Seed Muffins - February 6, 2017
- Healthy Protein Snacks – PB, Banana and Oat Squares - June 3, 2016