Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose?
We can’t deny that viral season is upon us. My office and emergency room is filled with children and parents with runny noses, coughs, fevers and fatigue. Many worry it’s the dreaded enterovirus-68, with fear over respiratory illness requiring hospitalization. Though I am sure that many of my patients do in fact have this infection, thankfully very few are becoming ill enough to require hospital-based care.
My office and emergency room is filled with children and parents with runny noses, coughs, fevers and fatigue.
This high viral season reminds us that we should consider getting flu vaccines. Influenza has maintained a low profile so far this Fall, though no doubt it will rear it’s head in the coming month or two, as it does each year. Have you forgotten H1N1 from last year?
Have you forgotten H1N1 from last year?
In North America we now have two excellent flu vaccine options, the classic flu shot, and the lesser-known flu nasal spray. Both offer similar levels of protection, but some people are better suited for one or the other option.
Who should be vaccinated against the flu?
The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) and National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) recommends that everyone six months and older get immunized against the flu, unless there is a medical reason not to. Why risk getting sick if you don’t have to?
Read the full post here.
- What Is Whooping Cough (Pertussis)? What Is The Whooping Cough Sound? - February 7, 2018
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - December 18, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - November 11, 2017
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - November 8, 2017
- Child and Infant Ear Infections - November 7, 2017
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - November 4, 2017
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - November 2, 2017
- Febrile Seizures in Children – Not As Scary As You Think - November 1, 2017
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 22, 2017
- ‘13’ Halloween Safety Tips – The Quick and Dirty - October 15, 2017