EBOLA – Coming to Canada???
EBOLA – Coming to Canada???
Fear over Ebola and potential for spread to North America is growing. This is the first Ebola outbreak in West Africa and involves the most deadly strain of the Ebola virus to date.
Here is what you need to know about the Ebola outbreak as it stands now:
Where are the cases of Ebola?
Liberia, Nigeria, Guinea, Senegal and Sierra Leone. There is one confirmed case in the United States (as of Oct 1, 2014), a traveller to West Africa.
How many people have been infected?
The World Health Organization has confirmed upwards of 3500 deaths and 7500 cases, though there are likely many more unaccounted for. It is the largest outbreak of the disease in terms of cases, deaths and geographical reach. Hundreds of aid workers have died in Africa to date after contracting Ebola from infected patients.
Why are so many people affected?
There is no vaccine for Ebola, and the only way to prevent its spread is by isolating infected individuals. With ever increasing travel within Africa and internationally, outbreaks can be more widespread.
Could Ebola come to Canada or the United States?
The United States has seen their first Ebola patient, a man who visited West Africa and was infected. 50 people who he came in contact with since his arrival in the US are being monitored in case they demonstrate signs of the illness. They are in quarantine
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- Ten Steps To Keep COVID-19 Out Of Your Home - April 6, 2020
- How to speak with your kids about Coronavirus Covid-19 - March 12, 2020
- Coronavirus Covid-19 Hysteria Is Now Spreading - March 4, 2020
- Nightmares and Night Terrors in Children - March 1, 2020
- What Is Diarrhea - February 27, 2020
- Coronavirus Covid-19 is Spreading - February 26, 2020
- Newborn Rashes and Baby Skin Conditions - February 18, 2020
- Roasted Chick Pea Poppers – Healthy Protein Snacks - January 27, 2020
- Coronavirus in Toronto – Should We be Worried? - January 23, 2020
- What Do Puffers Do? The Definition of Asthma, and Treatment In Kids - January 19, 2020