An Ode To Fathers
An Ode To Fathers
If you are an avid reader, you know that my husband, Andrew, is my partner in crime. We have been together since my high school days. He stood, patiently, by my side through university, med school, residency, fellowship and now as a practicing pediatrician. He put up with me then and now. He too had his years of craziness, through university, a Master’s degree and PhD. We have spent thousands of hours studying together in silence. And many more years in a long distant relationship, as our schooling separated us across the province.
He stood, patiently, by my side through university, med school, residency, fellowship and now as a practicing pediatrician.
I believe only a certain type of man can withstand these daunting years of a partner’s sleep deprivation, exhaustion and chaotic life. Not seeing your wife for days, as she is lost in the shuffle of overnight call, studying and applications. Thankfully, we have made it out the other end, seemingly unscathed.
Andrew is an amazing father, more patient than I (most of the time), with more energy and enthusiasm than most. He longs for moments outside chasing our boys around, and can make them giggle harder than anyone I know. He is a true ‘daddy’ – with the right kind of balance between best friend, and disciplinarian. The kids adore him, but respect him. When I was itching to return to work after Baby J was born, he jumped at the chance to take paternity leave. He was heartbroken to return to work after his brief time as a stay-at-home dad. He would take many more months off to be with the kids if he could. I could not do this job without him.
He is a true ‘daddy’ – with the right kind of balance between best friend, and disciplinarian. The kids adore him, but respect him.
My own dad is the most hardworking guy I know. After years of high-stress work, he ‘retired’ only to continue working ‘part time’, with many side jobs in the mix. From him (and my mom) I learned about hard work, perseverance and determination. When I would get a 99% on a test, he would ask, ‘what happened to the other 1%?’ (he denies this of course!) From him I learned that you can accomplish anything, really. Just work your ass off.
From him I learned that you can accomplish anything, really. Just work your ass off.
So on this Father’s Day, I want to salute Andrew, my father, and all dads out there who work their butts off at home (and at work), share the load, and love their kids to the moon and back. We moms are great too, but we get a lot of the attention as parents. There are millions of dads out there who are doing as much, if not more work than moms. And let’s not forget stay-at-home and single-parent dads. Hats off to you guys. Parenting is truly the toughest job in the world (how many of us are eager to return to work on Monday morning after an exhausting weekend with the kids?!)
I want to salute Andrew, my father, and all dads out there who work their butts off at home (and at work), share the load, and love their kids to the moon and back.
Let’s show our dad’s and partners some much needed love and respect this weekend; they deserve it!
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2019
- Kidney And Bladder Infection In Kids – Signs & Symptoms - January 13, 2019
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - January 2, 2019
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - December 19, 2018
- How To Reduce A Fever And Maintain Normal Baby Temperature Safely - December 17, 2018
- Fever in Kids and Babies – When It’s Serious! - December 11, 2018
- How to Teach Compassion to Your Kids - November 18, 2018
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - October 21, 2018
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - October 20, 2018
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 19, 2018