Entero-What? What You Need To Know About Enterovirus 68
Lately the news is filled with stories about a scary new virus that is making many kids across the United States and Canada unwell. It is called Enterovirus-68 or EV-68. I am finding mass alarm at the Hospital for Sick Children and in my office, with many parents not knowing if their child is affected, what to do about infection and how to prevent the spread.
WHAT IS EV-68?
EV68 is one of hundreds of enteroviruses, including such viruses as coxsackieviruses (that cause hand-foot-and-mouth disease) and polioviruses. They generally cause symptoms of a common cold, with runny nose, congestion, cough, fever and diarrhea.
WHY THE SUDDEN CONCERN?
For the last 50 years, EV-68 has causes sporadic outbreaks in the United States, the Philippines, Netherlands, and Japan. We generally see these outbreaks in entero-viruses season, typically August-September. This outbreak is hitting hard, with many children and adults affected, with some becoming quite ill. Children less than 5 years of age, those with a history of asthma and immunocompromised people are most at risk of illness.
By mid-September we have seen thousands of confirmed cases across the US and Canada, with many more not confirmed with testing.
For more on preventing colds and viruses, check this out.
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2019
- Kidney And Bladder Infection In Kids – Signs & Symptoms - January 13, 2019
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - January 2, 2019
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - December 19, 2018
- How To Reduce A Fever And Maintain Normal Baby Temperature Safely - December 17, 2018
- Fever in Kids and Babies – When It’s Serious! - December 11, 2018
- How to Teach Compassion to Your Kids - November 18, 2018
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - October 21, 2018
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - October 20, 2018
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 19, 2018