Entero-What? What You Need To Know About Enterovirus 68
Lately the news is filled with stories about a scary new virus that is making many kids across the United States and Canada unwell. It is called Enterovirus-68 or EV-68. I am finding mass alarm at the Hospital for Sick Children and in my office, with many parents not knowing if their child is affected, what to do about infection and how to prevent the spread.
WHAT IS EV-68?
EV68 is one of hundreds of enteroviruses, including such viruses as coxsackieviruses (that cause hand-foot-and-mouth disease) and polioviruses. They generally cause symptoms of a common cold, with runny nose, congestion, cough, fever and diarrhea.
WHY THE SUDDEN CONCERN?
For the last 50 years, EV-68 has causes sporadic outbreaks in the United States, the Philippines, Netherlands, and Japan. We generally see these outbreaks in entero-viruses season, typically August-September. This outbreak is hitting hard, with many children and adults affected, with some becoming quite ill. Children less than 5 years of age, those with a history of asthma and immunocompromised people are most at risk of illness.
By mid-September we have seen thousands of confirmed cases across the US and Canada, with many more not confirmed with testing.
For more on preventing colds and viruses, check this out.
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- 6 Ways To Get Your Kids Excited for Back To School - August 26, 2018
- 6 Ways to Bust Back To School Jitters? - August 22, 2018
- Sun Safety For Kids - July 12, 2018
- Lacerations, Cuts and scrapes – welcome to summer! - July 11, 2018
- What to Put on Mosquito Bites - July 6, 2018
- Teenage Anxiety and Stress – How To Deal With It - March 17, 2018
- Painful Constipation – Tips & Solutions - March 16, 2018
- How to manage epistaxis (nosebleeds) - March 12, 2018
- Swimmers Ear – Symptoms and What To Do - March 11, 2018
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - March 11, 2018