Sex Education For Kids
Boys Have Penises and Girls Have Vaginas NOT Not Shmekles and Va-gay-gays
In the spring of 2015, Ontario released a new Health and Physical Education Curriculum for 2015. It describes the new curriculum for sex education for kids and sex education for teenagers in Ontario. This is the first such update since the mid-late 1990s and will cover important topics such as cyber-bullying, sexting and gender identities. Of course, our kids will also learn about the anatomical parts of sex and types of sex (oral, vaginal and anal) all of which has lead to confusion, anger and fear amongst parents.
Our four and two-year-old sons know that they have penises and mommy has a vagina. Are we that scared of our kids knowing the real word for their genitals?
Much of the fear stems from the early introduction of sex education teaching, even in grade one. Some have voiced concern that grade 1 students are far too young to understand sex and it’s implications. And I agree, but I can’t imagine there are many seven-year-olds out there that don’t know if they have a penis or vagina and that the opposite sex has the opposite organ. Our four and two-year-old sons know that they have penises and mommy has a vagina. Are we that scared of our kids knowing the real word for their genitals? More reasonably, in my opinion, is the objection that our children will be learning about oral and anal sex. But seriously, do we not think that teens in Ontario are familiar with these forms of sex? If we don’t teach it will they never know it exists? For the record, living a healthy, active lifestyle will also be discussed. Who can argue with that?
Do I think kids are going to have sex sooner because of this curriculum — no, I don’t. Do I think some students will think long and hard about these important life decisions when they arise — I hope so. If anything, teaching acceptance and tolerance to people different from us may stand to help at least a few, and that is benefit enough for me.
Read more at:
- Garden Safety for Toddlers - July 25, 2017
- Splinter Removal Made Easy - July 22, 2017
- Inner Ear Problems? From Ear Wax? - July 21, 2017
- How To Discipline A Toddler – Do Timeouts Work? - July 8, 2017
- Healthy Drinks For Kids – Does Juice Count? - June 25, 2017
- How to Find the Best Doctors for Your Family - June 22, 2017
- Going Into Labor for the First Time – Dr. Dina’s Story - February 4, 2017
- Toddler Tantrums, How to Survive Them – Part 2 - February 3, 2017
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2017
- Stye In Eye? What Is A Stye Anyway? - January 14, 2017