Schoolbag Cleaning Tips for Back To School
How to Clean a Schoolbag in Five Easy Steps
The back-to-school season is often described as a fresh start or a clean slate, and what is more iconic than the schoolbag. It can be costly when stocking up on school supplies. With many families looking to save some dollars (and the environment too), I recommend reusing gear where possible. Embracing this idea I went in search of the best cleaning tips for parents.
For expert advice, I reached out to Melissa Maker from Clean My Space, a popular Toronto-based cleaning service, and the personality behind the wildly viewed YouTube DIY cleaning videos.
While she literally has a playlist of back-to-school cleaning videos, one of my favourites focuses on the battle of the schoolbag. According to Melissa, how to clean a schoolbag is the most popular question her team gets on this topic. Check out this VLOG to learn more. While helpful for the first day of school, these tips can be useful all year round to keep bags maintained and in good shape.
[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpA3FQ9Ajk” width=”600″ height=”400″]
Here are Melissa’s tips and tricks to clean a schoolbag in five easy steps:
1) Read the care label first
All backpacks are NOT created equal. If you can’t find it, look for the brand online for wash instructions.
2) Pre-treat any stains ahead of time
You can do this with your favourite stain remover.
3) Most bags are machine washable
They can be washed with cold water on gentle cycle. The only caveat is if there are dangling straps from the bag, they need to be removed and washed by hand. Alternatively you can roll up the backpack and put in a delicates laundry bag for wash.
4) Hand washing works too
If you can’t machine wash backpack then wash by hand with warm water and dish liquid or laundry detergent with a scrub brush or sponge.
5) Hang schoolbag to dry
Although the dryer is tempting it can ruin the material.
Get your kids excited for Back To School with these tips.
The general information provided on the Website is for informational purposes and is not medical advice.
Do NOT use this Website for medical emergencies.
If you have a medical emergency, call a physician or qualified healthcare provider, or CALL 911 immediately. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on this Website. Always seek the advice of your physician or other licensed and qualified health provider in your jurisdiction concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from this Website and any medical condition you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
- Five Financial Games to Play to Raise Savvy Kids - November 14, 2018
- ADHD Awareness: Tips for Building School Communication - November 8, 2017
- Schoolbag Cleaning Tips for Back To School - August 29, 2017
- Five Reasons to Do-Re-Mi with Baby – Why Baby Music Is So Important - July 11, 2017
- Educational Gift Ideas for Mother’s Day - May 5, 2016
- Five Great Games to Entertain Kids this Winter Break - December 23, 2015
- Three Must-Read Books for Bullying Awareness Week - November 19, 2015
- 10 Tips for a Stress-Free Homework Routine - November 5, 2015
- Celebrate Dad with Children’s Books This Father’s Day - June 19, 2015
- Places For Kids To Play – Eat, PLAY, Love At A Stay ‘N Play Café - May 1, 2015