Roasted pumpkin seeds, pharmacy without the salt, dosage are a great healthy fall snack and great for putting in fall porridge and homemade granola bars. But Halloween is coming, and you have a great opportunity to get your healthy snack for free!
Aside from carving the pumpkins as a family, the kids have an extra special job. After we use the knives to cut the pumpkins open, the kids love putting their hands in the pumpkin goo to help us pull out the seeds.
Once you have all the pumpkin seeds taken out, wash them and save them! We like to make healthy roasted pumpkin seeds out of them. And as an aside… if your family likes to eat squash, some squash, like acorn, has seeds that are just like pumpkin, too!
To spice thing up, you can make a coating for the roasted pumpkin seeds. These can be mixed in directly with the oil so that when you coat the seeds everything is mixed together.
One of our favourites is a simple mixture of cinnamon and brown sugar, which gives the roasted pumpkin seeds a nice sweet taste. If you are more of a heat person like me, I like to toss them with a little cayenne pepper!
Healthy toasted pumpkin seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Healthy oil (coconut or olive oil are both good choices)
- Preheat your oven to 300F (150C)
- In a bowl, toss your washed pumpkin seeds with your favourite healthy oil (we love coconut oil).
- Spread them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Going Into Labor for the First Time – Dr. Dina’s Story - February 4, 2017
- Toddler Tantrums, How to Survive Them – Part 2 - February 3, 2017
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2017
- Stye In Eye? What Is A Stye Anyway? - January 14, 2017
- Kidney And Bladder Infection In Kids – Signs & Symptoms - January 13, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - January 9, 2017
- How To Reduce A Fever And Maintain Normal Baby Temperature Safely - January 7, 2017
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - January 6, 2017
- 5 Ways To Treat Viral Infection Symptoms This Season - December 14, 2016
- Food To Avoid When Pregnant – Even That Yummy Cookie Dough! - December 13, 2016