Pimple Remedies for Baby Acne – Yes, Ugly, But It’ll Soon be a Thing of the Past!
When my younger son was born, he had amazing skin, blemish free and gorgeous. By week 3 his face was covered in baby acne, and it grossed me out. I was at my lowest with too little sleep and too much stress, and just wanted to make it go away so I could feel confident showing off my sweet baby.
Now I commonly have parents ask me what it is and how to get rid of it.
Don’t despair – it is a short phase and then your baby’s gorgeous, smooth skin will be back for you to be jealous of again!
What causes pimples?
We think baby acne stems from mom’s hormones right before birth. Estrogen crosses the placenta, leading to stimulation of the baby’s oil glands. Most babies have red pimples or whiteheads on the cheeks and nose, though some have on the forehead and chin as well.
Baby acne looks most impressive when the baby is fussy, hot, or when the skin is irritated. Moisture, such as from drool or milk, or sweat from a parents chest, can irritate acne.
When Do Babies Have Acne?
Though babies can be born with acne, most don’t develop it till about a month of age. It is usually gone by 3-4 months of age.
Baby acne is a self limited condition and will fade with time, as the hormone levels stabilize. Try to clean with gentle soap and water, though not excessively. Avoid oils and lotions, as this can make it worse. A great simpler home remedy for acne – breast milk can help to dry the acne out if applied a few times a day. Topical steroids are sometimes used in aggressive cases.
Need more info? Read my article on Different Types of Baby Acne and Treatments.
Nutrition is also key, here is useful information on healthy snacks for your child.
Overall, Don’t Despair
Baby acne is a short phase and then your baby’s gorgeous, smooth skin will be back for you to be jealous of again!
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - October 14, 2017
- How to Teach Compassion to Your Kids - October 10, 2017
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - October 8, 2017
- 6 Ways To Get Your Kids Excited for Back To School - September 3, 2017
- Backpacks for Back To School – How To Pick The Best One - August 31, 2017
- Garden Safety for Toddlers - July 25, 2017
- Splinter Removal Made Easy - July 22, 2017
- Inner Ear Problems? From Ear Wax? - July 21, 2017
- How To Discipline A Toddler – Do Timeouts Work? - July 8, 2017
- Healthy Drinks For Kids – Does Juice Count? - June 25, 2017