Need Good Dinner Recipes? My Favourite Burger Recipe
In our house, there is not much doubt about what to cook for dinner on summer weekends – weekend dinners mean BBQ. If there is one thing that our kids love it is hamburgers cooked to perfection by yours truly. I cook a lot for the kids, but out of everything I make for them this is the one thing that they ask for on a regular basis. There is nothing fancy about these burgers, in fact, they are pretty easy to make and jazz up to suit you or your kid’s taste.
About 1 lb to 1.5 lb of medium ground beef
~1/4 cup of ketchup
½ cup of rolled oats
- Beat the eggs together.
- Grind the oats into a breadcrumb like consistency
- Mix all ingredients together, but don’t over mix
- Make patties to suit your kid’s size
Now for the fun
Try mixing multiple meats together. For a lighter burger use ground chicken or ground turkey. Try adding a little bit of healthy fats (a little olive oil or coconut oil) to leaner meats to add a bit more juiciness to them. Ground lamb can give a burger a Mediterranean flavour is you spice it with garlic or rosemary, or use cumin and coriander to get a Middle Eastern flavour.
Want to make them vegetarian? Puree mushrooms into a meat-like consistency with some olive oil and use instead of ground meat. By substituting the ketchup with hoisin sauce (and my favourite Sriracha) you’ll give your burgers an Asian twist.
Whether cooking on a BBQ or in a pan, make sure you preheat the cooking surface. It’s a good idea to warm the burgers up to room temperature before cooking. Cook for approximately 5 minutes per side, but adjust depending on the size and thickness, just make sure they are cooked through before serving.
Top the burgers with your favourite topping and enjoy.
Mix up your meat
Mix up your flavouring
Add healthy oils to lower fat meats
Make it veggie!
Allow your kids to add their favourite veggie topings
Need lunch ideas for toddlers?
See some ideas for a healthy breakfast for kids
Want other good dinner recipes?
- Happy Mothers Day – A Letter In Support Of All Moms - May 12, 2018
- Need Good Dinner Recipes? My Favourite Burger Recipe - July 6, 2017
- Is Your Baby Not Sleeping, And Out Partying With You? Why Aren’t Your Kids In Bed? - February 11, 2016
- Dylan’s Birth Story From Dad’s Perspective - December 30, 2015
- Let’s Get Our Kids in the Kitchen - November 6, 2015
- As Dad, It’s My Right to Drive My Kids Crazy. Science Backs Me Up - October 13, 2015
- How to Encourage Exploratory Play… Without the Destruction - September 4, 2015
- The Time Ry Fell Asleep In The Exersaucer - August 14, 2015
- Don’t Want To Do Something Around Your House, Pawn It Off On Your Children And Make A Kids Chore Chart - August 10, 2015
- How To Foster Your Child’s Talents And Creative Thoughts - August 8, 2015