May Is MASTURBATION Month
There I said it. Shocking as the word and act are to many, masturbation is a normal aspect of childhood sexuality that many parents find difficult to talk about. Part of this is the difficulty in acknowledging that kids are sexual beings. Of course little kids are not thinking about having sex, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know that their genitalia is sensitive and feel different than they’re other body parts. We see genitalia as special, so why shouldn’t they?
Of course little kids are not thinking about having sex, but that doesn’t mean they don’t know that their genitalia is sensitive and feel different than they’re other body parts.
Masturbation is self-stimulation of the genitals. Both boys and girls start to masturbate, in earnest, as young as 1-2 years of age. IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL. Kids are curious about their bodes and find touching themselves pleasurable and comforting. Children notice a difference between girls and boys around 2 years, and thus in preschool may start to explore their friend’s bodies to understand these differences, like an innocent game of ‘doctor’.
Kids are curious about their bodes and find touching themselves pleasurable and comforting.
I find parents concern most often lies in one of three realms:
- Concern that that child is masturbating due to sexual abuse,
- That others will think they are bad parents when the child touches him/her self,
- That they are becoming sexualized too early
Masturbation in kids is usually normal
Talk to your children about self pleasure
There is a time and a place
To read the rest of the article, click here.
- Going Into Labor for the First Time – Dr. Dina’s Story - February 4, 2017
- Toddler Tantrums, How to Survive Them – Part 2 - February 3, 2017
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2017
- Stye In Eye? What Is A Stye Anyway? - January 14, 2017
- Kidney And Bladder Infection In Kids – Signs & Symptoms - January 13, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - January 9, 2017
- How To Reduce A Fever And Maintain Normal Baby Temperature Safely - January 7, 2017
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - January 6, 2017
- 5 Ways To Treat Viral Infection Symptoms This Season - December 14, 2016
- Food To Avoid When Pregnant – Even That Yummy Cookie Dough! - December 13, 2016