Reason #3 why I love autumn best: Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. There is nothing quite like a piping hot bowl of the slightly sweet soup on a cold autumn evening. It is quick, easy, and oh, so healthy!
This recipe makes a great big pot of soup perfect for a crowd during football season, or just for lots of leftovers for your family. Eating it for breakfast is not out of the question at our house!
Make it vegetarian by using organic vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I always try and use low sodium.
Cooking Tip: after maple roasting the squash, make sure you add all the roasting juices into the broth as well. You want all the maple flavor you can get!
I always garnish with a swirl of low fat sour cream and an extra drizzle of maple syrup but these are optional. Some toasted croutons or roasted pumpkin seeds would be good too.
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- Salt & pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Whisk syrup and 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl, add squash and stir to coat well
- Spread in a single layer onto parchment lined baking sheet, season with salt and pepper & roast for 30 to 45 minutes, until soft
- Remove from oven and set aside reserving juices
- In a dutch oven saute onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for about 5 minutes
- Add broth, roasted squash and juices and bring to a boil
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Carefully puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender (soup will be hot, so be careful!)
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a drizzle of maple syrup
Previously published at Red Cottage Chronicles.
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - January 9, 2017
- 5 Tips For Getting Into a Fitness Routine Now the Kids are Back in School - September 4, 2016
- How To Get 10000 Daily Steps In Your Day - November 24, 2015
- My Teenager Won’t Kiss Me In Public… And I’m Happy - November 16, 2015
- You Are My Sunshine - November 13, 2015
- A Letter to My Special Needs Child - November 9, 2015
- Everyone is Fighting a Battle You Know Nothing About - November 4, 2015
- Quinoa Breakfast Muffins - November 3, 2015
- Should Your Skincare Routine Be Different Morning and Night? - October 30, 2015
- What Are Signs That My Teenager is Using Drugs or Alcohol? - October 26, 2015