I’m Going Back To Work And I Need Your Help
I’m heading back to work next week, and I will definitely miss being home. I’m a family man, I love being with my kids and doing things with them and for them. For the past 3 months I’ve been on Pat Leave, and I had the best time. Like many moms and dads out there, its time to go back to work.
With going back to work comes a lot of feelings that I wasn’t prepared for. The one I’m most surprised with is anxiety.
Now I’ve always been a hands-on dad, but this took it to the next, and I’ll say, great, level. With going back to work comes a lot of feelings that I wasn’t prepared for. The one I’m most surprised with is anxiety. The anxiety is not from having to work, that’s easy. The anxiety comes from wondering, how do I make this transition without affecting my relationship with my kids? I’m sure many of you have felt this way. Being away from work has allowed me to be more relaxed as the pressures from work aren’t weighing on me nightly. My need to check my email is low, as is my need to respond. What this means is our kids and wife have my utmost attention.
The anxiety comes from wondering, how do I make this transition without affecting my relationship with my kids?
I did a lot of the stay-at-home-parent type things, like grocery shopping midday, running family errands and catching up on some around-the-house chores. But what has been most rewarding was being around to take the kids to school, pick them up afterward, make lunches, and take them to the park after school. This last one is a sticking point for me because the summer is upon us and there’s nothing like playing in the park with your kids.
I need to find a way to separate myself from this so I can give my undivided attention to our boys.
By heading back to work, I know I’ll have the pressure back on, there will be things to do in the evening pressing issues from work which I will be thinking about when I get home. I need to find a way to separate myself from this so I can give my undivided attention to our boys.
How am I doing this?
- I’m unplugging around the kids, but you knew this already.
- Time with my kids is priority; I’m leaving work outside the house. I’ll go outside and pick it up again once the kids are in bed. I can’t think of anything that will be more important than dedicated time to my kids.
- Weekends, these are family time and will continue to be family time. This will be the priority.
Sadly, I’ll have to make up for both quality and quantity, with more quality as there are only so many hours a day. Therein lies the source of my stress.
So I’m asking those of you out there for help. Leave me a comment below or tweet me (@as_levy) to let me know how you managed through this.
Unplug around your kids
Leave work at a reasonable time
Take your kids to the park or tuck them in at night (or both!)
Do work after their bedtime if needed
- Need Good Dinner Recipes? My Favourite Burger Recipe - July 6, 2017
- Is Your Baby Not Sleeping, And Out Partying With You? Why Aren’t Your Kids In Bed? - February 11, 2016
- Dylan’s Birth Story From Dad’s Perspective - December 30, 2015
- Let’s Get Our Kids in the Kitchen - November 6, 2015
- As Dad, It’s My Right to Drive My Kids Crazy. Science Backs Me Up - October 13, 2015
- How to Encourage Exploratory Play… Without the Destruction - September 4, 2015
- The Time Ry Fell Asleep In The Exersaucer - August 14, 2015
- Don’t Want To Do Something Around Your House, Pawn It Off On Your Children And Make A Kids Chore Chart - August 10, 2015
- How To Foster Your Child’s Talents And Creative Thoughts - August 8, 2015
- How Do You Make French Toast? Our Best French Toast Recipe Shared! - July 25, 2015