Enjoy Fireworks Safely With The Whole Family
With summer upon us, fireworks will be lighting up the sky a few more times before school is in session again. Fireworks may be fun and exciting for kids, but also carry a significant risk of burns.
Fireworks may be fun and exciting for kids, but also carry a significant risk of burns.
If not handled properly, fireworks can cause significant eye and burn injuries. For this reason it is always safer to attend a community display instead of using the backyard version. Fireworks are not legal in many municipalities anyway.
Fireworks Safety List
But if you insist on using them here are some recommendations:
- KIDS SHOULD NEVER HANDLE FIREWORKS. They are incredibly dangerous to hold and if they go off can cause loss of vision, and burns bad enough to cause death. Seriously. They can be as hot as 1000°C!
- If you are going to buy fireworks, make sure they are legal. Legal ones cause fewer burns.
- Wear eye protection when handling them.
- Make sure no one is close to the them after they are lit. They can go off backwards.
- Use fireworks only outside and have water accessible nearby in case of fire.
- Never carry them after they are lit.
- Never pick up a previously lit firework, as pieces can explode later.
- Avoid carrying them in your pocket – friction can set them off.
- Do not light them in areas with heavy brush, as fires can catch.
- Make sure no pets are in the vicinity to avoid injury.
In case of burn immediately run cool water over the skin for as long as tolerated. Cover in moist, clean clothes and seek medical attention. For more on burn care.
Here’s a great article on Outside Games for Kids In the City during Summer.
This summer, please stay safe!
- Going Into Labor for the First Time – Dr. Dina’s Story - February 4, 2017
- Toddler Tantrums, How to Survive Them – Part 2 - February 3, 2017
- Tricks To Manage Your Child’s Next Cold - January 17, 2017
- Stye In Eye? What Is A Stye Anyway? - January 14, 2017
- Kidney And Bladder Infection In Kids – Signs & Symptoms - January 13, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - January 9, 2017
- How To Reduce A Fever And Maintain Normal Baby Temperature Safely - January 7, 2017
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - January 6, 2017
- 5 Ways To Treat Viral Infection Symptoms This Season - December 14, 2016
- Food To Avoid When Pregnant – Even That Yummy Cookie Dough! - December 13, 2016