Enjoy Fireworks Safely With The Whole Family
With summer upon us, fireworks will be lighting up the sky a few more times before school is in session again. Fireworks may be fun and exciting for kids, but also carry a significant risk of burns.
Fireworks may be fun and exciting for kids, but also carry a significant risk of burns.
If not handled properly, fireworks can cause significant eye and burn injuries. For this reason it is always safer to attend a community display instead of using the backyard version. Fireworks are not legal in many municipalities anyway.
Fireworks Safety List
But if you insist on using them here are some recommendations:
- KIDS SHOULD NEVER HANDLE FIREWORKS. They are incredibly dangerous to hold and if they go off can cause loss of vision, and burns bad enough to cause death. Seriously. They can be as hot as 1000°C!
- If you are going to buy fireworks, make sure they are legal. Legal ones cause fewer burns.
- Wear eye protection when handling them.
- Make sure no one is close to the them after they are lit. They can go off backwards.
- Use fireworks only outside and have water accessible nearby in case of fire.
- Never carry them after they are lit.
- Never pick up a previously lit firework, as pieces can explode later.
- Avoid carrying them in your pocket – friction can set them off.
- Do not light them in areas with heavy brush, as fires can catch.
- Make sure no pets are in the vicinity to avoid injury.
In case of burn immediately run cool water over the skin for as long as tolerated. Cover in moist, clean clothes and seek medical attention. For more on burn care.
Here’s a great article on Outside Games for Kids In the City during Summer.
This summer, please stay safe!
- What Is Whooping Cough (Pertussis)? What Is The Whooping Cough Sound? - February 7, 2018
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - December 18, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - November 11, 2017
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - November 8, 2017
- Child and Infant Ear Infections - November 7, 2017
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - November 4, 2017
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - November 2, 2017
- Febrile Seizures in Children – Not As Scary As You Think - November 1, 2017
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 22, 2017
- ‘13’ Halloween Safety Tips – The Quick and Dirty - October 15, 2017