17 Tips For Travel With Kids
With this recent cold spell, many of you are looking to get away somewhere warm. I don’t blame you – I’d be travelling too, if I wasn’t due in December! I think you’ll have the best vacation possible if you’re well prepared, so here are my top tips for travel with kids.
Your Flight – Start off Right
1. Flying with a toddler or baby can be a daunting task. I recommend parents feed their children (e.g. breastfeed or bottle feed infants and give your older kids some water, milk or a snack) on the way up and down, in order to help their ears “pop.”
2. Some kids may benefit from a dose of Ibuprofen before they fly, as I do, to mitigate ear pain.
3. Parents ask me all the time about medications like Benadryl and Gravol. Be warned: while these can make some kids sleepy, others will have a paradoxical reaction and become more awake and irritable. I recommend trying a dose at home before flying just in case. Much to my chagrin my kids get hyper on both medications.
4. For newborns and infants, I recommend adding a sling or infant carrier to your baby-wearing gear. That way your infant is comfortable and you have your hands free, which is essential when juggling passports, tickets, and money. I find that most often babies will fall asleep when worn, leaving you to handle whatever comes your way through the flight and help you stay sane.
Read the rest of these TIPS FOR TRAVELLING HERE.
- What Is Whooping Cough (Pertussis)? What Is The Whooping Cough Sound? - February 7, 2018
- How to Check Children’s Temperature Correctly - December 18, 2017
- Tips For Optimal (And Safe) Baby Sleep - November 11, 2017
- How To Prevent Viral Infection Symptoms This Fall and Winter - November 8, 2017
- Child and Infant Ear Infections - November 7, 2017
- Flu Shot or Nasal Spray – Which to Choose? - November 4, 2017
- Scared of the Flu? You Should Be! - November 2, 2017
- Febrile Seizures in Children – Not As Scary As You Think - November 1, 2017
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds - October 22, 2017
- ‘13’ Halloween Safety Tips – The Quick and Dirty - October 15, 2017